- 3 cups milk (I used goat’s milk)
- 6 TBS granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs separated
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl combine the flour, oat bran, baking powder and salt, Whisk to combine. In another bowl add the egg yolks, milk, vanilla, orange juice and oil. Whisk ’til mixed well.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer. Whip on med-high until they start to get foamy. Turn the mixer to high and add the sugar one tablespoon at a time and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Or you can do this in a large bowl with a hand mixer
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Add the egg whites to the mixture. Carefully fold in until well combined. You don’t want to collapse the meringue but you want it incorporated. It’s what adds the lightness to the waffles.
- Heat your Belgian Waffle maker according to its directions.
- Add the batter to the waffle maker so as to cover the bottom. Close the lid and let cook for a couple of minutes. With my waffle maker you flip it over and let it cook a couple of more minutes.
- When the waffles are done – you want them to be a lovely brown color – remove them to a cooling rack. When they are cooled you can pack them up for the freezer.