A cute centerpiece cake for your Spring Table
- 2 yellow cake mixes
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cups oil
- 2 cups water
- For the Icing
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- yellow food coloring
- yellow sanding sugar
- 2 large chocolate discs or chips
- Skewers – if you don’t have them spaghetti will work in a pinch
- 13 x 9 x 2″ pan
- 1 quart and 1 1/2 quart glass bowls (pyrex ) that you can bake in the oven
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Butter and flour the 13 x 9 x2″ pan and the bowls. Set aside
- Make the cake mixes as directed on the box.
- One mix will go in the 13 x 9 x 2″ pan
- The second mix is divided between the two bowls; 2/3rds in the larger bowl, 1/3rd in the other bowl.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted comes clean; the 13 x 9 pan and the 1 quart bowl took about 30 minutes, the larger bowl took about 45.
- Cool on a wire rack then carefully remove from the pan and bowls.
- At this point you can wrap the cake and put it aside for up to two days.
- Make the frosting:
- Heat the sugar with the cream of tartar, salt and 2/3 cup water in a saucepan, stirring, until dissolved.
- Beat the egg whites with a mixer until frothy.
- Slowly beat in the hot sugar mixture, then increase the mixer speed and beat until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and the food coloring
- Set aside while you build the bird.
- Making the Chick
- Cut the four corners off of the rectangular cake. Save three of them.
- Level off the bowl cakes with a serrated knife.
- Now we build the Peep!
- Place the larger round on the rectangle and the smaller one on top of that.
- The recipe calls for skewers to hold it together but I didn’t have skewers. I used spaghetti! It worked just fine. I snipped them off with my poultry shears.
- Use two of the corners you set aside to make the tail, the third is the beak. Use toothpicks to attach them.
- Frost the Peep and fill in artistically.
- Use a wet offset spatula to smooth the frosting.
- Cover with sanding sugar
- Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set.
- Use two large chocolate discs or chips for the eyes
It took me around 45 minutes to put this cake together with a little trial and error along the way. Just take your time and it will happen
Keywords: cake, Peep cake, Easter cake, novelty cake, yellow cake, chick cake