a fudgy brownie base with a creamy cheesecake layer topped with fresh bing cherries and a chocolate drizzle
For the Brownies:
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
For the Cheesecake:
- 4 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups cherry halves
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 TBS butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Line a 13 x 9 pan with foil and grease the foil.
- Mix the butter and cocoa powder until there are no lumps. Add the eggs, one at a time mixing well after each addition until the batter is thick and smooth.
- Add the granulated sugar and vanilla and beat until well blended. Add the flour and salt and mix until just blended.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30 – 35 minutes until the brownies are just cooked.
- While the brownies are cooking put the softened cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached. Beat the cream cheese until all the lumps are gone.
- With the mixer on low add the eggs one at a time until well blended. Add in the vanilla and sour cream or yogurt.
- Spread the cheesecake mixture over the cooked brownies. It will about fill the pan – don’t worry.
- Even out the batter with an offset spatula and bake for about 30 – 35 minutes or until just set in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Refrigerate for around 3 hours. Pull from the ‘fridge and carefully remove from the pan. It should lift quite easily by the foil ends but do be cautious that you don’t crack the top of the cheesecake.
- Trim the sides of the cake so that they are even and squared off.
- Warm the chips and butter over med-low heat until it melts. Stir well. Set aside.
- Cover the top of the cheesecake with the cherry halves. You might have some leftover.
- Use a fork to toss the melted chocolate over the top of the cherries.
- Cut the cheesecake into small squares and serve.
Prep time includes cool down time in the refrigerator
Keywords: brownies, cheesecake, cherries, black forest