- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 TBS vegetable oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- additional granulated sugar or sugar in the raw for rolling the cookies in
- Cream butter and sugars in a stand mixer with the paddle attached. Beat for about 3 minutes on medium until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Then mix in the oil and molasses. TIP: to make it easier to get all of the molasses out of the measuring cup I add oil first and swirl it around. I add the oil to the batter. Then I add the molasses to the measuring cup. It slides out much easier.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually mix in the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Fill a small bowl with about 1/4 cup sugar in the raw or granulated sugar. You will probably need a little more before you are done rolling the cookies. Using a small scoop, drop balls of batter into the sugar and coat them thoroughly. Roll them between your hands into balls.
- Place the balls 3″ apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper (I use silicone mats) and bake for 17 minutes rotating their shelves halfway between the cooking time. Let the cookies cool on the cookies sheets for several minutes before you try and remove them to cooling racks.