A vegetarian dinner with earthy beets, tart apples and crunchy walnuts
- 2 medium beets boiled, peel removed and cut into small pieces*
- 1 medium apple peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 TBS walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 TBS Walnut or Olive Oil
- 3 TBS rice Vinegar
- 1 TBS honey
- salt and pepper to taste
*I boil the beets until they are fork tender. Then I remove them from the water and drop them into ice water or a sink full of cold water. After they are cool the skins will just rub right off. At this point you can use them in a dish like this or they can be sliced and frozen for later use.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Add the walnut or olive oil to the bottom of a baking dish. Swirl it around so that it covers the bottom.
- Add the beets, the apples and then the raisins. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then add the rice vinegar. Give the mixture a good stir to make sure everything is coated with the oil and vinegar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until everything is heated through and the apples have begun to soften.
- While the beets are roasting toast the walnuts and chop them into medium sized pieces. Set aside.
- To serve put the mixture in a bowl, drizzle on the honey and adjust the seasoning to taste. Sprinkle with the chopped walnuts.
This serves 2 as a main dish or 3 – 4 as a side dish
Keywords: beet salad, beets, apples, summer sald