- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 TBS ground turmeric
- 2 TBS garam masala
- 2 TBS ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 onion cut into small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 TBS grated fresh ginger
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- kosher salt
- fresh cilantro leaves
- roti or store bought pita
- Put the chicken, greek yogurt and lemon juice in a bowl. Add the turmeric, garam masala, cumin and cayenne and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and cook slowly until it turns translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and its marinade to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and tomato paste and continue to simmer until the chicken has cooked through and the sauce is thick about 15 minutes.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning if needed and add more lemon juice for more acid if wanted.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with roti
Keywords: butter chicken, chicken dinner, chicken Makhani