traditional rice krispie treats stuffed with caramel and drizzled with chocolate and caramel
- 12 cups Rice Krispie Treats
- 20 oz large marshmallows (about 80 – but to be honest, I added about 90)
- 8 TBS butter
- cooking spray
- 1 bag caramels
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chips
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 TBS heavy cream
Make the Rice Krispie Treats
- Spray a 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray.
- Melt 4 TBS butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add 45 marshmallows and let them melt. Watch carefully so that they don’t brown or burn. Keep stirring!
- Once the marshmallows are all melted remove the pot from the heat and add 6 cups of Rice Krispies and stir until coated.
- Put the mixture into the prepared pan – filling half of it.
- Make the second batch the same way adding the mixture to the other half of the pan.
- Let the treats harden before you attempt to stuff them. (I made mine the day before I was going to serve them.)
- When you are ready to begin remove the treats from the pan and cut them into roughly 2″ squares. This is not an exact science and you can tell from my photos that my finished treats were of mixed sizes.
- Trim the treats of any edges that make them awkward or unsteady.
- Using a small, sharp knife cut a hole in each treat. Trip the piece removed so you have a piece that fit back on top.
- Lay the pieces out on a tray with the bottoms and tops aligned so you can fit them back together after the caramel has been added.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or a bowl over simmering water.
- Coat each hole with chocolate. I used a butter knife to do this and it worked just fine. Save the remaining chocolate to drizzle over top when the treats are finished.
For the Caramel stuffing:
- Unwrap the caramels, set aside around 10 for drizzling on top.
- Add the caramels and the cream to a small sauce pot and heat over medium low heat until the caramels are melted.
- Fill each chocolate coated cavity with caramel just about to the top.
- Carefully place the small piece on top of the caramel to cover.
- Drizzle the top with melted chocolate – if it had hardened while filling the treats just warm it up.
- Drizzle some caramel over top and finish with a bit more chocolate.
The ingredients listed are enough for two batches and I made each batch separately
Keywords: bake sale treat, rice krispie treat, stuffed rice krispie treat, marshmallow treat, caramel treat