A moist cake with a strong vanilla flavor topped by juicy cherries
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 TBS unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 8 pieces
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs plus one egg white, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups cherry halves, can be fresh or frozen
- 3 TBS sugar in the raw
- 1 tsp ground vanilla, optional
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease a 9″ cake pan and if desired line with a parchment round. Grease the parchment.
- Arrange the cherry halves, cut side down, to cover the bottom of the cake pan.
- Mix the sugar in the raw and vanilla powder together if using.
- Sprinkle the sugar or sugar/vanilla powder mix over the cherries in the pan. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and white one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then add the vanill and mix well.
- Scrape down the bowl and with the mixer on low add the flour mixture in thirds and the milk in halves beginning and ending with the flour. Mix just until combined.
- Carefully place the batter on top of the cherries in the cake pan. Spread evenly with a spatula. Tap the pan on the counter to release the air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cake is done when a tester comes out clean
- Let the cake rest on a wire rack for 10 minutes then invert onto rack to cool completely.
I am sure this would be amazing with vanilla ice cream
Keywords: upside down cake, cherry vanilla, cherry vanilla upside down cake