- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3–1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 3 oz quality semi sweet chocolate (70% or better) finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg mixed with a splash of water for egg wash
- Swedish Pearl Sugar if desired for decoration
- Dissolve yeast in warm water until foamy. In another bowl, combine milk, egg, butter, sugar and salt; add yeast mixture and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Secure the dough hook and knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 4 portions. Roll 1 portion into a 12-in. circle. Place on a greased 14-in. pizza pan or pizza stone. Spread with half of the strawberry jam to within 1/2 in. from edge. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough, place next round on top, sprinkle finely chopped chocolate over top, then the third circle on which you will spread the rest of the jam. Top with the fourth round.
- Place a 2-1/2-in. round cutter on top of the dough in center of circle (do not press down). With a sharp knife, make 16 evenly spaced cuts from round cutter to edge of dough, forming a starburst. Remove cutter; grasp 2 adjacent strips, one in each hand and rotate twice outward. Pinch ends together. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle center with Swedish pearl sugar if using.
- Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. (Watch during final 5 minutes for any dripping.) Remove from oven; brush with melted butter, avoiding areas where jam is visible. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
There is a great video showing how to make this bread available HERE
Prep time includes rising time
Keywords: pastry, star bread, chocolate star bread, strawberry chocolate