Classic Cheese Souffle
A light, airy souffle with a strong cheddar flavor
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: main dish
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: French
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dijon
- dash of cayenne
- 1 cup milk (I used goat’s milk)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Butter a 4 cup souffle dish Make a 4″ band of aluminum foil 2″ longer than the circumference of the dish, butter 1 side and secure it, butter side in, around the dish.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, salt, mustard and red pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheese until melted; remove from heat.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff but not dry. Beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes; stir into cheese mixture. Stir about 3/4 of the egg whites into cheese mixture. Fold cheese mixture into remaining egg whites.
- Carefully pour into souffle dish. Cook uncovered until lightly browned and just firm – about 50 to 60 minutes
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: souffle, cheese souffle