Pasta with creamy roasted eggplant and zucchini with fresh pesto and toasted pine nuts
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 1/4 cup dried tomato pieces
- 1 pound pasta – ziti, penne or the like
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cut the eggplant and zucchini into small cubes. Add to a bowl and mix with olive oil. and generous amount of salt
- Add the zucchini and eggplant to baking dishes, making sure they are in a single layer
- Roast in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes. Remove one pan from the oven and mix in the garlic and dried tomato pieces. Stir well.
- Return to the oven and roast for another 15 minutes or until the eggplant is very soft and fully cooked.
- While the vegetables are roasted cook the pasta in salted water.
- When it is cooked reserve some of the pasta water (about 1/2 cup), then drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Set aside in the pot until the vegetables are ready.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the pasta and gently stir. Taste and adjust seasoning. If needed add some of the pasta water.
- To serve: add to a bowl and top with pesto, Parmesan cheese and pine nuts
Keywords: pasta, roasted eggplant, roasted zucchini