delicious individual bundt cakes with a lovely homemade caramel sauce
For the bundt cakes:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cherry flavoring (optional)
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/2 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
For the Cherry 7UP® caramel sauce:
- 2 12 oz cans Cherry 7UP®
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 TBS cold butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray the mini bundt pan with cooking spray and then dust with flour. Remove any excess flour. If you are making one large cake butter the pan and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Add the two cans of Cherry 7UP® to a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let the soda simmer until it is reduced to 1/4 cup. You can let this occur while you make the batter for the bundt cakes just be sure to keep an eye on it.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached. Add the sugar and beat together on medium high for about 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition. Add the vanilla and cherry if using. Mix well. Reduce the speed to low and add the yogurt until incorporated. Scrape the bowl if necessary. Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Remove the bowl from the stand and fold in the chopped cherries and mini chips.
- Fill the mini bundt pans about 2/3rds full with batter. Drop the pan on the counter a couple of times to help the batter settle. Smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 – 40 minutes. Cool the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes then carefully turn over and remove the cakes. Let cool completely.
Make the Caramel Sauce:
- Add the sugar to the reduced Cherry 7UP® and heat over medium high heat until the sugar is boiling and completely dissolved. Add the cold butter – be careful! The mixture will rise up in the saucepan and hiss and spit a little.
- After the butter has completely melted add the heavy cream. Again – be careful. The cold cream hitting the hot caramel will cause rapid bubbling. Add the pinch of salt. Stir for a minute. Let the caramel cool slightly in the pot and then pour into a mason jar to cool completely.
- To serve: place a mini bundt cake on a plate and drizzle with some of the caramel sauce. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips if you would like.
Keywords: mini bundt cakes, bundt cake, caramel sauce, caramel dessert, 7UP caramel