A moist and delicious devil’s food cake with a surprise inside
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 5 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract l
- 1 TBS warm, brewed coffee
For the Frosting:
- 5 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 3 egg whites
- 1 oz sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced strawberries, or blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Butter and flour a 6″ cake pan or two 4″ cake pans
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the oil and brown sugar.
- Add the mayonnaise and stir well.
- Finally add the egg, vanilla and coffee. Stir until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until combined – do not overmix.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not underbake.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the pan and cool completely.
- If using the 6″ pan slice the cake in half to make two layers.
Make the Frosting:
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Remove from heat.
- While the chocolate is melting beat the heavy cream and vanilla to soft peaks in a medium bowl.
- In a second medium bowl whip the egg whites until foamy. Slowly add the sugar and the pinch of salt and whip to stiff peaks but don’t let them get too dry.
- Gently fold the melted and slightly cooled chocolate into the egg whites.
- Fold in the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
- Chill until the mousse is of spreadable consistency, about an hour
Frost and Fill the Cake:
- Place one layer on a plate, add about 1/4 cup of mousse to the center of the cake, add the chopped strawberries or whole blueberries and top with a little more mousse.
- Top with the second layer and frost the cake as you would a normal cake.
- If you do not have the cake pans with the indentations you can place one layer on a plate, add the frosting to the first layer, add the fruit, top with the second layer and frost the entire cake.
prep time includes cooling time
You will end up with extra mousse/frosting but this will not be a hardship, believe me
Keywords: dessert, chocolate cake, dessert for two, mini dessert, devil's food cake