Make the pickled cabbage:
- Preheat the oven to 250°
- Core the cabbage and slice it into thin strips.
- Add the cabbage to a large bowl and then mix in the oil, cider vinegar, orange juice, zest and salt.
- Mix together very well.
- Spread the cabbage in a thin layer onto two large baking sheets.
- Put them in the preheated oven and let them roast for 30 minutes.
- Stir the cabbage around on the sheet and rotate them in the oven and roast for another 30 minutes. Repeat these actions for another two times until the cabbage is cooked but still slightly crunchy.
Make the Spaetzle:
- Mix together the milk and eggs.
- Add the flour and salt and stir with a fork until you have a very sticky dough.
- Fill a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add half of the butter
- Take a portion of the dough and put it on a flat surface such a cutting board.
- Cut, slice, push – however you choose to do it – drop pieces of dough into the boiling water.
- Cook until they rise to the surface.
- Remove the spaetzle from the boiling water with a slotted spoon or small strainer and put them into the saute pan with the butter. Let the spaetzle cook until they are lightly browned, then turn them over to brown on the other side. Remove to a bowl to keep warm while to boil and saute the other half of the dough.
- Don’t overcrowd the saute pan because you want to brown the spaetzle not steam them