- 4 cups loosely packed basil leaves, preferably organic
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cups toasted pine nuts
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt plus more to taste if needed
- Toast the pine nuts – watch them. They can go from toasted to burnt in a split second
- Add the basil leaves and garlic to the bowl of a food processor with the metal blade. Pulse until the leaves are roughly chopped.
- Add in the salt, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Pulse until everything is combined into a thick paste.
- With the machine running slowly pour in the olive oil until it all comes together into a thick sauce. Do not over process.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Store, covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Cook Time is food processor time
Keywords: pesto, basil, pine nuts