Lemon Lime Cookies
A lovely, buttery cookie with a tart lemon, lime glaze
- Prep Time: up to 24 hours
- Cook Time: 12 to 14 minutes
- Total Time: 0 hours
- Yield: 40+ cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
For the Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 10 TBS unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS lime juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract or lemon paste
For the Glaze
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp lime juice
- pinch of salt
For the Cookies
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Set aside
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy – about 3 minutes.
- Add the lemon and lime juices, the egg yolk and the lemon extract or paste.
- Beat until combined
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three additions until just combined, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Turn dough out on the counter, divide in half, form into discs, wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour or up to 24 hours.
- Set oven rack to to the middle and preheat to 325 degrees
- Line baking sheets with parchment or silicone
- Remove a disc from the refrigerator and knead a few turns.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface into a 10″ circle and cut 2″ cookies about 1/4″ thick
- Reroll the dough and cut as many cookies as you can.
- Place cookies 1″ apart on the baking sheets and bake in the preheated oven until the edges are just lightly browned – about 12 – 14 minutes. Rotate the sheets halfway through baking
- Cool cookies ON the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Cut out the remaining dough, rerolling as needed and continue until all is baked.
Make the Glaze:
- While the cookies are baking, make the glaze: whisk confectioner’s sugar, lemon and lime juices, salt and lemon paste if using in a medium bowl.
- Set aside
Glaze the Cookies
- After the cookies have fully cooled, dip the tops in the glaze and allow to harden before storing in an airtight container.
- If needed, add extra lemon/lime juice to the glaze to maintain its consistency.
Keywords: cookies, lemon lime, cut out cookies