An easy, homemade ice cream cake
For the Spiced Ice Cream
- 1 quart milk
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 cup brown sugar, divide
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 TBS vanilla
- spice bag with cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, allspice, cloves, coriander seeds. star anise (I don’t measure the cardamom, allspice, cloves, and coriander. I just pour about half a teaspoon of each. One cinnamon stick, one star anise)
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Chocolate Buttercream
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
To Finish the Cake
- 10 Biscoff cookies
- 1 cup sprinkles (optional)
- Make a spice bag; add the spices to a small piece of cheesecloth and tie closed.
- Add the quart of milk, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, spice bag, vanilla and salt to a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Heat the milk until bubbles just start to form on the side.
- While the milk is heating whisk together the egg yolks and remaining brown sugar.
- When the milk is ready remove it from the heat.
- Add a ladle full of milk to the egg yolk mixture whisking constantly to temper the eggs. Do this two more times.
- Return the milk to the heat.
- Add the egg mixture to the milk and whisk it in to combine.
- Heat the custard until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Strain the custard into a bowl and cool completely. Before you add the base to your ice cream maker stir in the heavy cream.
- Run the mixture through your ice cream maker (if you don’t want to make the ice cream, just buy a quart of vanilla)
- While the ice cream is running, crush the cookies and set aside.
- Have a 6″ springform pan wrapped in foil and a freezer safe container ready.
- Sprinkle enough crushed cookies to lightly coat the bottom of the springform pan.
- After the ice cream maker has run through it’s cycle put half of it on top of the crumbs in the springform pan. Smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Place the rest of the ice cream in the freezer safe container and place both in the freezer. I think it’s best to have a chest freezer when making ice cream cakes at home.
- Let the first layer freeze for about two hours then bring the springform out of the freezer with the rest of the ice cream.
- Sprinkle the rest of the Biscoff cookie pieces over the top of the first layer and then carefully add the rest of the ice cream. Smooth with an offset spatula.
- Return to the freezer to fully freeze for at least 4 hours.
Make the Buttercream
- Add the butter and the salt to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy.
- Turn off the mixer and add the cocoa and one cup of confectioner’s sugar.
- Mix on low, slowly adding the confectioner’s sugar until it is all combined.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- If the buttercream is too stiff, add milk a teaspoon at a time.
Finish the Cake
- Remove the cake from the springform
- Frost and if desired roll the sides in sprinkles
- Return to the freezer until ready to serve
The cake will need to sit out for about 10 minutes before cutting
Cook time includes the time to make the custard and the time to run the ice cream maker
Keywords: ice cream cake, homemade ice cream cake, mini ice cream cake,