The base cheesecake recipe is adapted from The Big Sky Bounty Cookbook
- 2 cups butter cracker crumbs (Like Ritz or Towne House)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 TBS unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 pounds cream cheese ( 5, 8oz pkgs) at room temperature
- 1 lemon, zest and 1/2 tsp of juice
- 1/2 tsp of orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 TBS all purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Strawberry Balsamic Sauce
- 4 cups frozen whole strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with just enough water to make a slurry
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Butter the bottom of a 9″ springform pan with 3″ sides
- In a bowl combine the graham crackers, sugar and melted butter. Mix well
- Press the cracker mixture into the bottom of the springform pan.
- Bake until light golden in color, about 8 minutes. Remove and let cool. Lower the temperature to 350°
- Heat and keep warm enough water to fill a roasting pan large enough to hold the springform pan.
- When the pan is cool butter the sides and wrap the sides and bottom in several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil
- Pour mixture into the prepared springform pan.
- Place the springform into the roasting pan and place it on the oven rack. Carefully add enouth hot water to come halfway up the side of the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. If the top is browning too quickly you can create a foil tent.
- The cheesecake is done when the center does not jiggle.
- Cool on a wire rack, remove the foil.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving.
Make the Strawberry Balsamic Sauce:
- Add the frozen strawberries, sugar and balsamic to a non reactive pot over medium heat.
- Let cook over medium low heat until the strawberries start to thaw. Mash them with a potato masher or large spoon.
- Let the strawberry balsamic mixture come to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes to reduce the liquid
- Slowly stir in the cornstarch slurry to thicken. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool in the refrigerator overnight to serve with the cheesecake
If desired serve with whipped cream
Keywords: cheesecake, New York cheesecake, strawberry sauce, balsamic