A classic New York cheesecake topped with fresh berries in honey and lemon
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 1/2 TBS unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 TBS white sugar
- 2 1/2 pounds cream cheese ( 5, 8oz pkgs) at room temperature
- zest of two lemons, preferably organic
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 TBS all purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Honey Lemon Berries
- 4 cups mixed berries such as blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries – preferably organic
- 1/4 cup raw honey like Bee K’onscious Montana Clover
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Butter the bottom of a 9″ springform pan with 3″ sides
- In a bowl combine the graham crackers, sugar and softened butter. Mix well
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the springform pan.
- Bake until light golden in color, about 8 minutes. Remove and let cool
- Lower the temperature to 350°
- Heat and keep warm enough water to fill a roasting pan large enough to hold the springform pan.
- When the pan is cool butter the sides and wrap the sides and bottom in several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil
- With a mixer, mix together the cream cheese, lemon zest and juice, vanilla and sugar.
- Continue blending while adding flour and each egg and yolk, one at a time until well combined.
- Add in the sour cream and mix well
- Pour mixture into the prepared springform pan.
- Place the springform into the roasting pan and place it on the oven rack. Carefully add enouth hot water to come halfway up the side of the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. If the top is browning too quickly you can create a foil tent.
- The cheesecake is done when the center does not jiggle.
- Cool on a wire rack, remove the foil.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving
Make the Honey Lemon Berries
- Just before serving mix the berries in a bowl. Cut the strawberries in quarters and any large blackberries in half.
- Mix the honey and lemon juice together.
- Pour the honey lemon over the berries and gently toss.
- For a dramatic presentation for a party top the cheesecake with the berries. Otherwise cut the cheesecake and top each piece with some of the berries.
I made this cheesecake for just the two of us so I have been mixing smaller portions of the berry mixture each night to serve on pieces of the cake. As you know berries don’t tend to keep well when cut and sweetened.
Prep time includes the overnight refrigeration time
Keywords: cheesecake, New York cheesecake, honey, artisanal honey, honey lemon, honey lemon berries