Creamy risotto with pesto shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 clove of garlic
- 8 large shrimp
- 1/4 cup pesto sauce
- 1 TBS olive oil
- salt to taste
- Bring the stock to a simmer and keep it warm
- Cut each shrimp into three to four pieces. Add them to a bowl with 1 TBS of pesto sauce and stir to coat. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy bottomed saute pan over medium high heat. When it is hot add the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and swirl in the oil until it begins to get fragrant.
- Add the arborio rice and stir in the hot oil until all of the grains are coated.
- Add the white wine and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add 2 – 3 ladles of stock to the rice and stir until it is absorbed. Keep doing this – stirring
- constantly – until you have about a cup of stock left in the pot. Turn the heat off under the stock.
- Add the remaining stock to the rice and stir. When it almost all absorbed stir in the pesto sauce but keep back about 2 tsp for garnish.
- When the rice has absorbed all of the liquid stir in the pieces of shrimp, cover and remove from the heat. Let sit for 10 minutes. The residual heat with cook the shrimp.
- Serve with a dollop of pesto sauce on top.
Prep time assumes pesto sauce is made. If you have to make the pesto the prep time will be about 15 minutes longer.
Keywords: risotto, pesto, shrimp, shrimp risotto, pesto shrimp, shrimp risotto