a spicy, moist cake with cinnamony crumbs on top
For the Crumb Toppins
- 8 TBS unsalted butter melted, kept warm
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBS Hawaij seasoning or equal parts cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 15oz can solid pack pumpkin
powdered sugar for dusting
Make the Crumb Topping
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom to a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Pour in the melted butter and stir until crumbs form. Set aside
Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Grease a 9″ square pan and line with parchment or foil, leaving enough to overhang on two sides to make removing the cake easy. Grease the foil/parchment
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar butter and pumpkin.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold just until combined.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula
- Top with the crumb topping being sure to break up any overly large pieces.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes then remove from the pan to cool completely
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving
Keywords: pumpkin recipe, crumb cake recipe, pumpkin, crumb cake, pumpkin crumb cake