delicate dough with a sweet pumpkin spice filling and a gooey caramel topping
For the dough
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 TBS unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup powdered milk
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- melted butter for brushing
- pumpkin spice for sprinkling
- brown sugar for sprinkling
For the topping
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 TBS melted unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup KARO light syrup
Make the dough:
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water. Let it sit until the yeast gets foamy.
- Add the sugar, eggs, butter, milk powder, 4 cups of flour and the salt.
- Mix with the paddle until the dough comes away from the bowl. Add the remaining flour if needed but this is a soft, somewhat sticky dough.
- Either turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or knead for 10 minutes on speed 1 of your mixer.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, turn and let rise until doubled in size about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Punch down and shape into a rectangle. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll out to about 24″ x 15″
- Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with pumpkin spice – how much is up to you. Just remember that cloves and ginger provide heat. Then sprinkle with brown sugar. Again how much is up to you.
- Carefully roll up from the long end. Trim and cut into 24, one inch pieces.
- In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, 2 TBS of melted butter, salt and KARO. Pour into a 13 x 9″ pan and spread evenly.
- Carefully place the pieces of dough on top on the caramel topping. Cover and let rise until doubled in size about 40 minutes.
- While the dough is rising preheat oven to 375
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes until nicely browned and evenly cooked. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes then carefully flip. The topping will be hot. Place a piece of wax paper or foil underneath the rack to catch any runoff.
Keywords: sticky buns, pumpkin spice