A delicious and classic recipe with a shortbread crust, pastry cream filling and fresh summer berries on top
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
For the Pastry Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean split lengthwise or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBS flour
- 1TBS cornstarch
- Assorted berries
- Apricot jam
- Whisk the flour and salt in a small bowl and set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat until just combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low until the dough just comes together.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, form into a disc.
- Wrap the disc in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for about half an hour until firm
- Spray a 8 – 9″ tart pan (with removable bottom) with cooking spray.
- Carefully pat the dough into the pan until it covers the bottom evenly and goes up the sides
- Cover and freeze for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- Remove the tart pan from the freezer and uncover. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet.
- Prick the dough with a fork and bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes then lower the heat to 350° and bake for 15 more minutes until the crust is lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Make the Pastry Cream:
- In a medium bowl mix the sugar and egg yolks together.
- Sift the flour and cornstarch together and add to the egg mixture until well blended. Set aside.
- Add the milk and vanilla bean to a small saucepan. Heat over medium high heat until just before boiling. Remove the vanilla bean and set aside.
- Whisking constantly add the egg mixture being careful that no lumps form. If they do you can strain the mixture.
- Scrape the vanilla bean and add the seeds into the pastry cream. If using vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste add it now.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and let it cook for about a minute. Remove from heat and pour the cream into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap lightly pressed on the surface so that a film doesn’t form. Cool in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Assemble the tart.
- When the pastry cream is cool you are ready to put the tart together. Gather the crust, the cream and your berries.
- Carefully remove the tart from the tart pan.
- Brush the bottom of the tart with apricot jam.
- Add the pastry cream to the tart shell and spread it evenly in the shell.
- Use an offset spatula to smooth the top of the pastry cream.
- Arrange your berries in any pattern that you would like. I used strawberries, blackberries and blueberries.
- Melt a couple of tablespoons of apricot jam with a little bit of water over medium low heat.
- Brush the berries with the jam
Not represented in the prep/cook time is cool down time for the pastry cream. This will be at least an hour.
You can make the crust and pastry cream ahead of time and then assemble the tart before your guests arrive
Keywords: tart, fruit tart, summer berry tart, classic fruit tart