A low calorie yet very flavorful chicken dinner
- 8 oz chicken breast, trimmed of fat and sliced
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme (or frozen as mine was)
- 4 – 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Jasmine rice
- side vegetable of choice
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Place half of the thyme and lay it on the bottom of a roasting dish.
- Sprinkle half of the minced garlic over top.
- Season the chicken breast slices with salt and arrange them on top of the thyme and garlic so they don’t overlap. Sprinkle the remaining garlic and lay the rest of the thyme on top.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Prepare your side vegetable – I roasted the snow peas in a little sprinkle of rice vinegar with salt. They were done at the same time the chicken was done. If you are making a different vegetable it might take longer so prepare it in advance if necessary.
- While the chicken is cooking pour the balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pan and reduce to a syrupy consistency. Add the pepper and some salt and adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Set aside. Do not let it cook too far past syrup or you will have toffee…don’t ask how I know this.
- When the chicken is finished plate the low calorie meal: place 1/2 cup of hot Jasmine rice and top with 3.5 oz of chicken. (Dispose of the thyme sprigs.). Add 3.5 oz of the vegetable on the side. Drizzle 1 1/2 TBS of the vinegar syrup over the chicken.
Served with a medium orange for dessert this meal comes in at just under 350 calories
Keywords: low calorie, chicken dinner, low calorie meal, chicken