Make the Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler
- Dip the strawberries in to coat about halfway up, all around.
- Set to harden on parchment or wax paper
Cut Up the Strawberries and Chill
- stem the strawberries and cut into small pieces and put in a bowl
- Add the sugar and vinegar then gently stir.
- Set aside in the refrigerator until needed
Make the Mousse:
- Place the bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler and let it melt while stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and let it rest.
- If you are going to use the vinegar to flavor the mouse then place 4oz of the vinegar in a pot and reduce it by about a third. Remove it from the heat.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks and set aside on an ice bath.
- Whip the egg whites to sift peaks while slowly adding the sugar, pinch of salt and vanilla. Whip until they reach stiff peaks.
- Divide the egg whites in half.
- Into half of the egg whites add the melted chocolate. Fold them until the chocolate is incorporated. Add half of the whipped cream. Fold until incorporated. Put into the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
- Take the second half of the whipped egg whites and add the reduced balsamic vinegar. Fold it in until incorporated.
- Add the remaining 1 oz of vinegar. Fold it in.
- Add the remaining whipped cream and you got it – fold it in. It is important with a mousse to fold carefully so you keep all of the air you whipped into the whites and cream so the mousse remains light and fluffy.
- Layer about 1/4 cup of each mousse (or 1/2 cup of chocolate if you did not do the balsamic vinegar variation) into a serving glass or dish. Add some of the cut strawberries and top with one of the chocolate covered strawberries