A delicious crumb cake with an apricot filling and chocolate drizzle
For the crumb topping:
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
two large dashes cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and warm
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
large pinch salt
For the cake:
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup apricot fruit spread or jam
For the drizzle:
2 TBS chocolate chips
2 tsp unsalted butter
2 TBS powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°
Grease an 8″ x 8″ square baking dish.
Make the crumb topping:
- Melt the butter over medium high heat on the stove and set aside.
- Mix the topping ingredients together in a bowl and combine well. Add the warm butter and stir. Set aside until needed.Make the cake:
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside,
- Place the sugar and oil in a stand mixer with the paddle attached. Beat on medium speed until well mixed.
- Add the eggs and beat until lemon colored and well aerated.
- Add the flour and milk into the egg/sugar mixture and mix until it just comes together.
- This is a very thick batter. Add it to the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Top with the apricot spread.
- Take handfuls of the crumb topping mixture and break it into rather large pieces and cover the apricot spread.
- Bake for about 30 – 40 minutes or until the top is nicely browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool a bit and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Melt the ingredients for the chocolate drizzle over medium low heat until well combined.
- Drizzle over the cake with a fork.
Keywords: crumb cake, coffee cake, crumb cake with chocolate, best crumb cake