- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whip the egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Turn the mixer to high and slowly add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks but don’t make them too dry.
- Mix together the egg yolks, the egg, the canola oil and the milk.
- Mix together the flour, oat bran, baking powder and salt. If using the vanilla powder add to the dry ingredients. If using vanilla extract add to the wet ingredients.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and add the wet ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Heat your waffle iron per its instructions.
- Add the whipped egg whites to the batter and fold in well.
- The batter will be thick, but light.
- Make the waffles according to your waffle maker’s directions.
- These freeze very well
- With my iron it makes 6 large waffles