a delightfully sweet/tart chunky, low sugar jam
- 4 1/2 cups chopped peaches
- 2 cups blackberries
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 package low sugar pectin
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- Have a canner and half pint jars ready
- Add the peaches and blackberries to a large, heavy bottomed 6 quart pot and mash them either with your hands or a potato masher.
- Measure out the 3 cups of sugar in one bowl. Remove 1/4 cup of that sugar and mix it with the pectin in a second bowl
- Add the sugar/pectin mixture to the fruit in the pot and stir to combine. Turn the heat on to medium high and stir to mix.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and butter.
- Heat until the mixture comes to a rolling boil – one you can’t stir down.
- Add the remaining sugar and stir to combine. Keep stirring until it returns to a rolling boil. Keep at a boil for one minute and remove from heat
- Ladle into jars leaving 1/2″ headspace.
- Place the lid and screw on the band finger tight.
- Process for 10 minutes. If you are over 3000 feet process for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat under the canner and let the jars sit for 5 minutes with the lid on the canner.
- Remove the jars and let them sit for 24 hours before storing.
I like a chunky jam so I guess this is technically a preserve. If you prefer a true “jam” cut the peaches very finely and smush the blackberries to mush
Keywords: low sugar jam recipe, peach blackberry jam, jam recipe