A moist cake with fresh pears topped with two drizzles
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 sticks (8oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk at room temperature or 1/2 cup milk mixed with 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 medium pears, cored, peeled and cut into 1/4” dice
- For the Struesal:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 TBS unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup salted caramel
- Preheat oven to 350°
Make the streusal:
- Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the melted butter and stir until well mixed.
- Set aside.
Make the cake:
- Butter a 12 cup bundt pan and dust with flour.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy – about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture in thirds and buttermilk or sour cream/milk in halves alternating between the two beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fold in the pears.
- Add half of the batter to the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle in the struesal mixture, squeezing it to make chunks.
- Top with the other half of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55 – 60 minutes until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- If you are going to make your own salted caramel do it while the cake is baking. I have a recipe with a video on how to make salted caramel
- Let the cake cook for 10 minutes and then remove the cake from the pan and cool completely.
- When ready to serve melt the chips and butter together.
- Drizzle the cake with the chocolate, then the caramel then the chocolate again.
Keywords: pear recipe, pear cake, bundt cake