A wonderfully moist cake just chock full of strawberries
For the Crumb Topping
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (optional)
- 6 TBS unsalted butter, at room temperature
For the Cake
- 4 TBS unsalted butter, at room temperature plus some to butter the pan
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 cups chopped strawberries
- Powdered sugar for dusting the finished cake
- Preheat oven to 350
- Butter and flour a 10″ springform pan
Make the Crumb Topping:
- In a medium bowl whisk together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla powder if using.
- Cut the butter into pieces and add to the flour mixture. Rub into the flour with your fingers until no large pieces remain. Alternatively use a pastry blender. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Make the Cake:
- Whisk together in a medium bowl the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached add the butter and sugar. Beat on medium until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla. Don’t worry if it looks a little curdled.
- Add the flour in the thirds and the milk by half, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Remove the bowl from the stand and fold in the strawberries until they are well distributed in the batter.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and even out with an offset spatula. Squeeze the the crumb topping mix to make crumbs and then break them up over the top of the batter in the pan leaving some larger pieces.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Check with a tester – if it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes and remove from the springform. Cool completely before serving.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving if desired.
You can substitute almost any softish fruit in the recipe, or combination of fruits – blueberries, raspberries, cherries, peaches, plums, etc.
Keywords: buckle, strawberry buckle, coffee cake, crumb cake