We had a turkey-less Thanksgiving here in the yurt. Instead of a bird I cooked ham. It was just the two of us and I just didn’t feel like dealing with all of that turkey. I could have cooked a chicken but I honestly wasn’t in the mood so I went with ham. I still wanted some of the traditional foods so I got to thinking of a stuffing that would stay moist and still be good without gravy. I thought of pineapple as it would complement the ham and it all grew from there.
Bacon Pineapple Dressing
12 cups dried bread cubes
1 16 oz can crushed pineapple
1/2 pound bacon
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
If you are going to bake the dressing right away preheat the oven to 350°
Fry the bacon until it is crisp and then cut into small pieces
Add the bread cubes to a large bowl – I used a mix of bread ends and old bread.
It was a tasty dressing. It was good the first night but I will admit that the second night it felt like it needed gravy. I’ve got to think that one through but it was very good. I think it would be really tasty rolled up in a pork loin or stuffed in a pork chop.Print
- 12 cups dried bread cubes
- 1 16 oz can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- If you are going to bake the dressing right away preheat the oven to 350°
- Fry the bacon until it is crisp and then cut into small pieces
- Add the bread cubes to a large bowl – I used a mix of bread ends and old bread.
- Add the pineapple and its juice, the eggs and the chopped bacon to the bread cubes, mix well
- Add the salt, pepper and dried cranberries, mix well
- Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray
- Add the stuffing to the baking dish and bake, covered, in the preheated oven for half an hour, uncover and bake another 10 minutes.