The hubby was away all of last week – and half of the week before – on his vacation. We can’t go away together because of the animals. He came home to a very busy week including a training meeting for his firemen so you know what that means! I wasn’t sure what I wanted to bake but when I finally picked a recipe I was definitely thinking of my husband. It must have been because he had been away for so long. I looked through a couple of cookbooks, considered what I had on hand and decided on lemon bars. The hubby loves lemon flavored anything so I knew he’d like them and the recipe was for a 9 x 13″ pan so it would be enough for the meeting.
I found it in Martha Stewart’s Cookies – a rather useful if full of bizarre ways to make traditional cookies. You’ll see what I mean when you see the recipe below.
Makes 30 – 32
For the Crust:
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, frozen plus more for dish
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
3/4 tsp salt
For the Filling:
4 large eggs lightly beaten
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
3 TBS all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup lemon juice
confectioner’s sugar for dusting.
Preheat oven to 350°
Line a 13 x 9″ pan with parchment and butter the parchment.
Press the mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 16 – 18 minutes or until it just starts to turn golden brown.
While the base bakes make the filling.
Whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, flour and salt until smooth.
Add the lemon juice
Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
How Were They?
I snitched one for myself so I could do a little taste test and these are really tart. The hubby loved them as he likes to drink lemon juice straight. The base is just sweet enough to balance the beautiful lemon flavor.
Other Bar Cookies:
All purchase links are affiliate links. If you make a purchase I receive a small commission that helps to keep the Farm cats in treats.Print
Baking for the Firemen – Lemon Bars Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 30 1x
- Category: Dessert
- For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, frozen plus more for dish
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- For the Filling:
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 TBS all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- confectioner’s sugar for dusting.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a 13 x 9″ pan with parchment and butter the parchment.
- Grate butter on a cheese grater with large holes. Set aside
- Whisk together flour, confectioner’s sugar and salt.
- Add the butter and stir with a wooden spoon until it resembles crumbs.
- Press the mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 16 – 18 minutes or until it just starts to turn golden brown.
- While the base bakes make the filling.
- Whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, flour and salt until smooth.
- Add the lemon juice
- Pour over the hot crust.
- Carefully place the pan in the hot oven and lower the temperature until 325°
- Bake until the filling is set and the edges are slightly golden brown, around 18 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and lift the cookies out of the pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
- Cut into small pieces – these pack a flavor punch.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar.