Any time I make rice I try and make extra so that I have leftovers for fried rice or another leftover rice recipe. The other night I put together a tasty combination and found that the leftovers made a very tasty lunch. Like risotto, I find rice dinners to be very satisfying.
I have found that ever since I got my electric pressure cooker I have made much better rice. I always make extra so I have it to make dishes like the one below or fried rice. It allows for an easy meal later in the week.
Any purchase links are affiliate links which means if you buy through one I make a small commission (at no additional charge to you)
Rice with Dried Cranberries and Pistachios
Serves 4 – 6
Zest the orange. Set aside
Juice the orange, set aside
Mix the rice, cranberries and most of the pistachios in a large bowl. Hold about a tablespoon of pistachios aside to sprinkle on top. Mix well
Add the zest and rice vinegar to the fresh orange juice add salt to taste.
Add the dressing to the rice mixture and adjust taste.
How Was the Leftover Rice Recipe?
This is a really good rice recipe. The orange dressing brings out the flavor of the cranberries. The earthy pistachios are the perfect foil for the fruity tart/sweet flavors and they add a nice bit of crunch. Each bite is a joy. As I noted I ate the leftovers for lunch. It’s good warmed up or just at room temperature. Toss in a little chicken or shrimp and you have a complete meal!Print
Holiday Rice Recipe
A colorful and delicious leftover rice recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 - 6 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups cooked white rice such as Jasmine
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 orange, preferably organic
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- salt to taste
- Zest the orange. Set aside
- Juice the orange, set aside
- Mix the rice, cranberries and most of the pistachios in a large bowl. Hold about a tablespoon of pistachios aside to sprinkle on top. Mix well
- Add the zest and rice vinegar to the fresh orange juice add salt to taste.
- Add the dressing to the rice mixture and adjust seasoning to taste.
- To serve; add rice mixture to a bowl and sprinkle remaining pistachios on top
Keywords: rice, fancy rice, side dish, leftover rice recipe