I have long advocated for shopping at sites like ThredUp as a great way to find quality clothing for a reasonable price. I am going to share my tips for online thrift shopping to make it easier to navigate the site.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase I will receive a small commission at no additional charge to you.
Tips for Online Thrift Shopping
My favorite online thrift shop is ThredUp as I believe I have mentioned in Farm Fashion Friday posts in the past. I will share how I shop there but anything of these tips for online thrift shopping I share will be universal.
- Create an account. That lets you input your sizes so that when you search you are only given relevant choices. Otherwise you have to wade through pieces that are really of no interest to you.
- You know the brands you like and how they fit so search for them. For example; I like Pendleton, Michael Stars, Diane von Furstenberg and others so I regularly search those names. If I buy these brands I know exactly how the clothes will fit.
- Don’t be afraid to try new brands. By searching through the new items I’ve discovered new brands that I have welcomed into my closet.
- Read the descriptions. They do include valuable information. They will tell you if there are any imperfections or if the item is “like new.”
- If you only want new items then search “new with tags.” There is a broad selection of items that are available that have never been worn. Online thrift shopping does not always mean used clothing.
What Can You Expect When You Get Your Items?
I have ordered from several different online thrift shops and have been happy with all of them. I have most consistently ordered from ThredUp. That is the only site to which I have made any returns. The process with them is very easy – as long as you read the description and the item wasn’t on final sale. Final sale means just that. If it is a regular piece you simply fill out a form and send it back. You have an option of a store credit or to pay a small shipping fee and have a cash/credit card refund.
I have shared many of the outfits that I have put together over the years with pieces I have purchased from ThredUP. Every one of them has made me happy and I haven’t had to spend a lot of money to be able afford quality pieces like the silk Diane von Furstenberg blouse I am wearing in the photo above.
Are You Ready to Try Online Thrift Shopping?
If you are ready to try and find my tips for online thrift shopping useful please check out ThredUP. I have been very pleased with everything I have found there. Whether it was new with tags or gently used my wardrobe has been enhanced by using the site. I hope you find it useful too.