It was one of those clean out the refrigerator nights and I found 3/4s of a jar of homemade tomato soup and some leftover jasmine rice. I didn’t want to just have tomato rice soup so I thought I’d dress it up a little with the addition of a bit of shrimp and an avocado. I must say that it turned into a very delicious leftovers dinner recipe. It could easily be made as a “first dinner” if you know what I mean and I am sure I’ll do just that in the future. It was really that good. And if you didn’t have shrimp, chicken would work just as well. You do have to love a delicious dinner for two.
Any purchase links are affiliate links which means if you buy anything through them I will receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you)
Tomato Soup with Garlic Shrimp on Rice
3 cups tomato soup
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/2 pound shrimp
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 TSP fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
2 TBS sour cream (optional)
Cut the shrimp into bit sized pieces and add to a small bowl.
Add the olive oil and garlic. Stir and let sit for about 15 minutes.
Add the lemon juice, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
Cut the avocado into small pieces
Heat a cast iron pan or other non reactive pan over medium heat.
How Was the Leftovers Dinner?
Downright delicious if you ask me! I had made the tomato soup the night before from tomatoes I had put up last year so the soup was really flavorful and it was nothing but tomato, basil, oregano a little white wine and a bit of milk. The shrimp were sweet with that hit of garlicky goodness.
The avocado added a rich creaminess and the sour cream was another layer of flavor. All in all a meal I’d be happy to eat again. Leftovers dinner night certainly can lead to a very yummy meal. I do love soup for dinner, how about you? Some of my favorites include Asian Shrimp and Vegetable Soup or if it’s a stormy night Cream of Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup is heavenly.
Leftovers come together to make a delicious soup/stew
- 3 cups tomato soup
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 pound shrimp
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 TSP fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 2 TBS sour cream (optional)
- Cut the shrimp into bit sized pieces and add to a small bowl.
- Add the olive oil and garlic. Stir and let sit for about 15 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut the avocado into small pieces
- Heat a cast iron pan or other non reactive pan over medium heat.
- When the pan is hot add the shrimp in its marinade and the salt and cook until just done about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Heat the soup in a saucepan and warm the rice in the microwave.
- To serve: put 3/4 cup of rice in a bowl
- Add some soup around the rice – about a cup and a half
- Top with half of the shrimp and half of the avocado.
- Top with sour cream if desired
You can easily substitute chicken for the shrimp
Keywords: leftovers, tomato soup, shrimp, avocado, rice, dinner for two