As I get ready to leave Montana and move to Vermont it’s only fitting that I bring back this recipe that celebrates the unofficial state fruit – the huckleberry. I do admit that I don’t like them, nor do I like blueberries. The hubby on the other hand loves them so I am more than happy to use them to cook meals like Trout with Huckleberry Sauce and bake treats like Huckleberry Swirl Bundt Cake. Any of the huckleberry recipes on the blog will work with blueberries substituted.
What is a huckleberry? For those of you that don’t know I give you the official Wikipedia definition: The name ‘huckleberry’ is a North American variation of the English dialectal name variously called ‘hurtleberry’ or ‘whortleberry’ (/ˈhwɜːrtəlbɛri/) for the bilberry. In North America the name was applied to numerous plant variations all bearing small berries with colors that may be red, blue or black.
All purchase links are affiliate links which means if you buy anything through them I will receive a small commission at no additional charge to you
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat or whole wheat flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBS baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups huckleberries or blueberries
1 cup sour cream
3 large eggs
sugar in the raw (optional)
In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
In a medium bowl mix together the eggs and sour cream
How Were The Huckleberry Muffins?
I have no blessed clue. I didn’t taste them since I don’t like these berries. But the hubby liked them and he said they were mighty tasty so to me that is all that matters to me.
These freeze beautifully so you can make more than one batch and just pull one out when you need it. They thaw very quickly. When I want a muffin I make either Cherry Chocolate Pistachio Muffins or Honey Roasted Strawberry Muffins.Print
Moist muffins made with sweet/tart huckleberries. Blueberries can be substituted
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 18 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups huckleberries or blueberries
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- sugar in the raw (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Add cupcake liners to cupcake pans and spray with cooking spray
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a medium bowl mix together the eggs and sour cream
- Add the huckleberries to the dry ingredients and stir until the berries are coated.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently mix until they are well combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pans – about 2/3rds full
- Optional: Sprinkle raw sugar over the top of the batter
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 18 – 20 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack
Keywords: muffins, huckleberry muffins, huckleberries, blueberries, blueberry muffins